Sunday, July 20, 2008

Helm Creek / Gentian Ridge

I've been getting a little antsy to get out into the mountains for a bit more than a day - and preferably camp somewhere - ideally up in the alpine or something like that!

So, this weekend I laid my plans to get away, but then learned that Killaine's friends Tara & Neil from Ottawa would be visiting. So ... I adjusted slightly, changing to a quick getaway from work on friday and a hike in, then something a bit longer on saturday followed by a hike out - getting back to Vancouver early saturday evening.

I had originally planned on going up to Brandywine Mountain, but discovered that the access was closed (I didn't know that there was a different way in). So, a quick change of plans, and I headed up Helm Creek into Garibaldi Park.

IMGP3214

It took about 2 hours to hike up to the campground where I spread out my bivy sack.

IMGP3215

... and made a small supper on my small stove. There was just one other tent in the campground, and I never saw those folk. It was nice and quiet - even the mosquitoes eventually went to bed (when it got too cold).

IMGP3218

The next day dawned clear - with clouds just down in the valley. I made breakfast (mmm ... instant coffee), and left the campground at around 8am. So, up I went to check out the Gentian Ridge approach to Gentian Pass.

IMGP3219

This is Helm Peak, up on the ridge. Scramble-able, but difficult. I gave it a miss for today.

IMGP3220

Great view of the Black Tusk. Still snow up there, but getting patchy and melting quickly.

IMGP3222

North face of Garibaldi peak.

IMGP3225

Some of the terrain along the ridge. It was pleasant hiking with a bit of scrambling, and non-stop views.

IMGP3232

The north face of Castle Towers. The south (right) peak is an easy scramble - the main summit is a bit tricky. I'll have to come up on a weekend and give it a shot.

From Gentian Pass, I pondered heading across the Helm Glacier and circling back via Panorama Ridge. But, decided to decline crossing the glacier - perhaps not completely wise to cross it on my own with softening snow.

IMGP3242

Pretty flowers back down in the meadows. Back at the campground at around 1pm. A quick lunch, then back to my truck, getting there at a little past 3:30pm.

Great hike to a spectacular area!

No comments: