Monday, July 2, 2007

Gear Recovery at Singing Pass

On Sunday (Canada Day), I headed back up to the Singing Pass area to pick up some gear that Gord & I had left behind on the final, long day of our spring ski traverse with Diana and Ron.

I rode up the access road to the parking lot - it probably saved a little time on the way in, but it was very fast on the way out:

The challenge of the day was getting across a couple of streams. The first one was a bit of a heinous crossing of the stream coming down the big washout early on the trail. It was worse coming back (as the flow increased from snow melting during the day):
There was still quite a bit of snow up near Singing Pass. This picture is at about 1432m, a couple of hundred metres above where we left the gear:

The snow quickly disappeared, and it was back down the slopes we had climbed earlier, with big packs and skis on our backs:

The GPS led me pretty much straight to the gear. However, mice had eaten into the plastic bag we left the gear in, and the rope and other stuff had "leaked out", exposing it to the elements.


Curiously, only Gord's overbooties showed any visible bite marks. Suffice to say, however, after my harness and rope sitting out for 2 months, rotting in the rain, I'll be throwing them away.

One of the nice waterfalls on the way out:


And, finally back across the stream at the washout. I crossed on the logs visible in this picture:


It was slightly intense.

All in all, a fun day out - my own "geocaching" challenge. Although some of the gear is kinda ruined, we can still recover the climbing hardware and fuel bottles. I finished up the day with a Splitz Burger in Whistler, and watched the Red Bull Elevation BMX Contest.

No comments: