Friday, July 6, 2007

In Memory of Caroline

An acquaintance of mine, Caroline, died in a rapelling accident last weekend at Skaha Bluffs, near Penticton.

A couple of articles from the Penticton Herald can be found here and here.

I first met Caroline several years ago, on a BCMC trip up Sproatt Mountain. I later took a lead climbing course with her, again through the BCMC, and also climbed Mt. Shuksan in Washington with her.

I ran into her one day at the outpatient clinic at the Vancouver General Hospital, during one of my post-surgery checkups for my broken leg. Caroline was also there for a checkup, having sustained a number of bone injuries in an earlier climbing fall.

Although it has been a few years since I last saw her, I will remember her as an enthusiastic outdoors person who embraced the challenges of climbing.

No comments: