Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Black Diamond Voodoo Ski Reviews

Lou Dawson's backcountry skiing website has had a thread on Black Diamond Voodoo skis - these are the ones I skied on last winter. Some good comments on these skis:

http://www.wildsnow.com/?p=1176#comment-10608

I added my own comment in there as well:

I skied on the Black Diamond Voodoos last winter as well, with Dynafit bindings.

Prior to the voodoos, I had a pair of Hagan Titanal skis - for me, I found that this skis didn’t have the flotation I was looking for in powder, they didn’t have the stiffness for awkward conditions, nor did they have the sidecut for tight turns in bushy trees (I live in British Columbia). The voodoo addressed every one of these issues for me, and I found it to be a great ski. The stiffness took a bit of getting used to, and I found I had to push the skis into the turn on hardpack.

On the topic of twintips - I don’t like them. The fact that you can’t easily stab a ski into the snow and use it as an anchor is a real inconvenience for ski mountaineering. As Lou pointed out, the twintips do feel different at the end of a turn - they seem to slide out of the turn more than I’d like - I’d prefer if it was a bit more “grabby”. (of course, this is just my personal observation - your mileage will differ!)

Finally, on the topic of quality … I had the exact same experience as freeheel above - the top sheet has been falling apart on the tails where the skins clip on. The skis look pretty beat up after just one year of skiing. I’ll contact BD about that and possibly return ‘em. Also, I found that the boot center mark did not align with the “true’ boot center (which was marked with a separate score). Caused some confusion for me with my ski tech.

All in all, I found the Voodoos to be great skis - if BD would ditch the twintips and improve the quality of the tail skin clips, it would be great.

No comments: